cause of toxic shock reaction can be elusive - highly absorbent
Valerie Slim said: "Think about it, a little spider did it all.
"But experts in medicine and insects don't blame spiders so quickly.
In last July, when a housewife from Mira Loma was hospitalized for severe flu --
Slimp's husband, Randy, said that just as the symptoms began to change color with her left leg, the attending doctor speculated whether she had been bitten by a spider.
Because of the lack of another explanation, the spider
The Bite hypothesis is somewhat driven and supported by the following factorsup test.
Within a few days, samples of skin tissue were sent to infectious disease experts in the Midwest. Slimp's medical report was revised to respond to toxic shock caused by a bite from a brown hermit spider. -
A member of the Loxosc spider family, common in the Midwest, but rare in California.
The Loxoscspiders spider is commonly known as a violin spider for its back-marked shape.
While it may not be possible to detect the bite of a brown hermit in a few hours, it is generally considered an instant sharp sting ---
Slimp says she can't remember.
The sensation of tingling is usually accompanied by intense pain.
Blisters rise and expand and are very sensitive to touch.
The bitten victim may have a fever and become restless.
A few days later, the skin of the bitten area died, fell off, and showed sunken scars surrounded by dense scar tissue.
The venom of the Loxosc spider usually does not affect the body outside the bite site, although there are some documented cases that suggest a general systemic response to the Brown hermit bite, researchers at the University of Arkansas said.
Some experts believe that even if Slimp is bitten by a loxeles spider, this is unlikely, but the trauma she suffers is not caused by the bite itself, but by her body.
The possible culprit is the ubiquitous strep or S. aureus that enters through the wound. -
Whether it's spider bites, mosquito bites, scratches or open pain. (
More than half of the cases of toxic shock were related to menstrual toxic shock, which was related to the long-term use of high-absorption tampon in late 1970 and early 1980. )
Individual responses to S. strep or S. aureus vary greatly;
Dr. Slimp said that in the severe case of Slimp, her body focused on fighting the infection and sacrificed the blood circulation of the limbs, resulting in death.
Her surgeon at San Bernardino County Medical Center, David Vannix.
The trauma of Slimp is caused by a spider bite or something else, which is basically a meaningless question, but still a question discussed by doctors and major entomologists. Dr.
Gary Wasserman, a toxicologist at the poisoning control center at the Children's Charity Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri.
Send a sample of Slimp-infected tissue to the University of Arkansas, which is developing a screening process to identify Brown hermit spider bites.
The result is consistent with the venom of a brown respider spider.
But he said the test was not 100% accurate and did not rule out the poison from other loxeles spiders.
Wasserman said that while the violin spider was bitten as the main cause of the injury, no one knew how many spiders were bitten, "because people didn't catch the spider and there was no test to really prove it.
"In his hospital, Wasserman said he might see a dozen times a year bitten so badly that he left a man on his skin who was considered a Brown hermit bite.
Wasserman said he had only heard of one other case across the country, and that the infection caused by spider bites was as serious as the infection that apparently tortured Slimp.
Sol Frome, a senior museum scientist and curator of the University of California's Riverside collection of insect teaching and research, said there were only two documented findings from the California Brown hermit.
Gaelic Van Gordon, a spider expert in Los Angeles County Health Department, minu Maden from California health services, is eligible to become an expert court witness for loxeles spiders, the two Slimp houses were searched from inside to outside.
They said they did not find evidence of loxeles spiders in cracks or cracks, such as irregular nets or other clues.
"I can assure you that there are no loxoscspider spiders involved in this incident," Madon said . ".
Fan Gordon said that any spider's fangs could be contaminated with bacteria, which could trigger a devastating reaction.
"The reputation of spiders is not good.
The spider will not go to a person to bite.
"It takes a lot of effort to get them to take a bite," she said . ".
Watch out for the Brown hermit Spider (
This may be more common in the Midwest, especially in Missouri, but it is rarely found in California.
Entomologists only recorded its presence in the state twice.
8 inches long and half wide, legs longer than the body.
The colors range from light brown to dark brown.
The most distinguishing sign is the shape of the violin on its back, similar to the other species in the loxcles spider colony.
It is sometimes called a violin spider.
Where it lives: in dark, undisturbed cracks and cracks, or in unused clothes.
It weaves an irregular web with a maze of fibers extending in all directions, without obvious patterns.
Behavior: retreat when disturbed.
Bite: usually it feels like a sharp sting, then a sharp pain.
Blisters rise and expand;
The victim was restless with fever.
The skin tissue affected by venom dies and falls off, revealing sunken scars surrounded by dense scar tissue.
More serious complications may occur due to wounds, including bacterial infections.
There is no antidote to its poison.
In Southern California: of several varieties of loxeles spiders, also known as violin spiders, the most common one is L.
A desert found in a desert area.
The most dangerous, L.
La ETA, a South American, was found in the city center of Sierra Madre, Alhambra and Los Angeles in the 1960 s.
L cases not recorded
Letta bites in California.
Source: Sol from, a senior museum scientist at the University of California Riverside Museum of insects.
Minoo Madon, a public health biologist at the California Department of Health Services.
In addition, the University of Missouri-Columbia Agricultural Experimental Station published a paper;
Department of Agriculture, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville;
Urban insects at the University of California, Los Angeles.